The Nutrigenomics Research Group of the Universitat Rovira i Virgili aims to generate general knowledge oriented to the design of functional foods able to prevent, delay or alleviate metabolic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension and metabolic syndrome. These studies also allows to increase the value of by-products from the food industry by the obtaining of functional ingredients.
The Nutrigenomics Group has several research lines that are supported by grants from national and international public and private entities. The group always has at least a competitive national project or international.
The main research lines that we currently follow are:
- Evaluation of the beneficial effects of phenolic compounds on diseases related to metabolic syndrome, especially the exerted by proanthocyanidins.
- Search of bioactive compounds capable of modulating leptin signaling pathway and to reverse leptin resistance.
- Development of a functional food addressed to weight loss and prevention of diseases associated with obesity.
- Generation and purification of bioactive peptides from by-products of the food industry.
- Search of bioactive compounds with antihypertensive properties.
- Influence of circadian rhythms on the effect of bioactive ingredients.
- Study of the interaction between bioactive compounds and microRNAs.
- Browning and adipogenesis.